Mark Your Calendars, It’s Almost Autism Acceptance Month
Next month, it’s Autism Acceptance month! This is a worldwide event to celebrate Autistic pride and here at SmallTalk Pediatric Therapy, that’s cause for celebration!
There are many fun events and activities happening next month to celebrate families on the spectrum! We wanted to give you the inside scoop before April rolls around. Join us in some of the fun while we celebrate differences and promote social inclusion and acceptance!
Local Organizations and Events:
April 1, 2023 Race for Autism
- WHERE: Balboa Park: 6th Ave & Laurel St. San Diego, CA 92103
- WHEN: Saturday, April 1, 2023 6:30am to 11:30am
- WHY?: Kick off April’s AUTISM ACCEPTANCE MONTH by joining us for the 19th annual Race for Autism SUPERHERO 5K and 1 Mile Family Walk in beautiful Balboa Park
- MORE INFO: https://www.raceforautism.org/
Small Talk Pediatric Therapy will be at the Race for Autism! We are Supergirl sponsors for the race, so be sure to stop by our booth and say hi to the therapists. We’re excited to see you there!
April 3, 2023 Autism Acceptance Night – San Diego Padres vs. Arizona Diamondbacks
- WHERE: Petco Park: 100 Park Boulevard San Diego, CA 92101
- WHEN: Monday, April 3, 2023 6:40pm to 10:00pm
- WHY?: Celebrating Autism Acceptance Month with the San Diego Padres against the Arizona Diamondbacks for a fun evening filled with friends, family, and acceptance!
- MORE INFO: https://am.ticketmaster.com/padres/ism/MjNSUzA0MDM=?promoCode=QVVUSVNNQUNDRVBU
April 8, 2023 Family Pool & Pizza Party
- WHERE: Aqua Pros Swim School – 4635 Clairemont Mesa Blvd · San Diego, CA
- WHEN: Saturday, April 8, 2023 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- WHY?: Bring the entire family to enjoy a swim in an indoor, heated pool with free pizza and drinks. Lifeguards are provided. For safety purposes, no flotation devices or “floaties” are permitted
- MORE INFO: https://www.meetup.com/autismsocietysandiego/events/wwdtvsyfcgblb/
April 29, 2023 Lights! Camera! Autism!
- WHERE: Comic Con Museum, Balboa Park 2131 Pan American Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101
- WHEN: Saturday, April 29, 2023 5:30pm to 9:00pm
- WHY?: Highlighting adolescents and adults on the autism spectrum in art, film and music!
- MORE INFO: https://www.autismsocietysandiego.org/lights-camera-autism.html
Autism Society of San Diego
The Autism Society of San Diego offers support groups throughout the county year-round to provide support to families and their children. More information can be found on their meetup page at: http://www.meetup.com/autismsocietysandiego/. A monthly list of events are as follows:
- Spectrum Social (group for autistic adults 18+)
- Spanish Support Group (group is led in Spanish)
- Adult Information and Support (group for parents and caretakers of adults on the autism spectrum)
- Coffee Talk (daytime group open to all)
- Happy Hour (evening group open to all)
By Madison Trussell, SLP-CF